This is part three of a diary entry series. Part one can be found here and part two can be found here.
We ended with the download of a new payload: a .bat file.
Let’s take a look:
That looks like more BASE64 code. Let’s check with base64dump.py:
Indeed, we have rather 2 long BASE64 strings. So maybe 2 payloads. Or a payload and a loader.
What do we find after the BASE64 code:
A BAT file with obfuscated commands. A lot of 3 letter strings between exclamation marks (!).
The one circled in red draws my attention: !tHB!. If I remove that string, I end up with .exe.
So I try a sed command to remove all occurence of 3 characters surrounded by exclamation marks. I do this with regular expression !…!
The result looks like another PowerShell script:
With more obfuscation: I have to remove string pCpCh too.
And we end up with another PowerShell script. It looks similar to the one we analyzed in part 2: another decryptor.
We are again dealing with AES encryption (1), CBC mode this time (2), the key is BASE64-encoded (3) and the initialisation vector too (4). And there is also GZIP decompression (5).
So let’s adapt our decryption script from part 2 a bit:
from Crypto.Cipher import AES import gzip from Crypto.Util.Padding import pad, unpad def Transform(items, options): if options.parameter == '2': ciphertext = items['content'] else: ciphertext = items['content'] key = items['content'] iv = items['content'] oAES = AES.new(key, AES.MODE_CBC, iv) cleartext = unpad(oAES.decrypt(ciphertext), AES.block_size) transformed = gzip.decompress(cleartext) return transformed
There are several differences here: we use CBC mode, we have an initialisation vector (iv), and we have to do unpadding (unpad).
And since we have 2 payloads to decrypt this time, we use myjson-transform.py’s option -p (–paramter) to specify which payload we want to decrypt.
If -p is equal to ‘2’, we take the second payload (items), otherwise we take the first payload (items).
This is the output from base64dump.py:
We have our 2 payloads, the key and the iv.
We let base64dump.py produce JSON output and feed this into myjson-transform.py with decrypt-2.py script. As I suspect that this payload will be binary (PE file), I do an ASCII dump (-A) of the decrypted data:
This looks indeed like a PE file. Let’s verify with my pecheck.py tool:
It’s a .NET assembly: 5c5f55987a79e29a3bc46aeeb78209331d6cdbb4d1dde7f24a0b41ae51b5de8f.
Let’s take a look at the second payload, using -p 2:
That one too is a .NET assembly: 5f5b1e4a6cb96f0611a8374e504cee8ceb7dc59dedf0f4059fd93dcd8315699c.
(c) SANS Internet Storm Center. https://isc.sans.edu Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.